Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mission Conference and what Jordan is learning June 17, 2013

Thanks for the email and before I answer your questions and what not, I want to say that we had a mission conference and Elder Pearson our area 70 came. It was incredible, the spirit I felt from him was amazing.  I didn't feel tired I just felt like I could do anything and talk to anyone and spread the gospel through the power of the Holy Ghost. I guess he helped me realize moreso of the magnitude of what I'm doing here, and then after the conference he randomly picked a couple elder's and sisters to have a one on one interview with. I was kind of nervous at first, but we just talked and one thing he asked us in the conference was to write down, before our missions what we were, and what we had to give up to become a true disciple of Christ.  The spirit was able to tell me some things I need to work on in order to become the best missionary I can be and the missionary that my mother thinks that I am! haha I know that that is very important and also his wife gave a very good talk in mission conference as well. She said that her parents served as mission presidents in Norway, but they didn't know my dad,  but oh well still cool and got me really inspired. I always try my best each day, but it just gave me more of a drive I guess, which is important.
Sometimes that's what I lacked before my mission I didn't have the drive.  I would just let life happen as it would, it's good to be laid back but if you are too laid back you can be your own worst enemy.  I guess the spirit was trying to tell me I need to be a little more driven and motivated which is good, so that's what I'm working on right now. Just way excited to be working where I am right now, and it is hard  to get motivated here because the people just have an attitude of laziness but I have to rise above that  and show them what the church can do for them. Hopefully I will still be working with Elder Schmidt because I'm really liking working with him and we get along really well.  On to answering your questions, all the islands are pretty much inhabited other than Bikini atoll I think, they moved them all to Edjit. The food people eat here besides spam are..... rice... lots and lots of rice, but they also eat chicken mostly fried legs and stuff like that. They eat corned beef from a can, sometimes they eat pig if they can get it. If we're lucky we'll get coleslaw and that's about the greenest we can get, although at mission conference the other day we had like mexican taco salad and that was like heaven, oh baby!! Well I've made fajitas and chicken and then just whatever spices I can get I'll throw on some chicken and make like a chicken alfredo or spaghetti or whatever else I can throw together from what I have, but its good. I can mix it up and I'm way glad I know how to cook as is my companion, it just takes a long time on one electric burner that can't even get water to boil!  So no, recipes probably won't do a whole lot. Nope no crock pot, our house has like literally nothing, the other Elders have them so maybe later in the mission I will use a crock pot. Yeah I've got some letters from Aunt Deanne and I'm working on replying to them. (the letters I get) The language is actually coming way good, it's nice being able to get into a taxi and just bwebwenato with the taxi driver, it's way nice! I understand mostly what people say to me, I just have to add little words in now that I dont' know, but I can have real conversations now and I feel like I don't need a senior companion to lead me everywhere, so that's nice. It's crazy how fast we can learn! Trina has not been baptized yet, but she will be this week, her mom has come now and for sure this saturday she will be baptized which is nice. I will send you pictures and tell you all about it. I guess I'll tell you how a baptismal service is run, sorry if I  stink at explaining things, I just tend to assume you know everything.  Seeing as you're not here you don't. I spoke at church a while ago, I  might have forgot to tell you that, I don't remember, but I  spoke at Easter and talked about the atonement and that was good. There are some solid members in the ward, they have enough people to run everything, Rita was the first area that missionaries had success they have like 7 high council members in Rita and none in Delap or Uliga which is the more city area. Seems like there is not a ton of solid memebers when you go to church on Sunday, but when we go out and meet members we find out they are all High Priests. Right now there's only one outer island open, there is Ebeye, Majuro and Lae open right now. Ebeye isn't really an outer, but Lae is moreso. My new companion, he's just awesome, way easy to get along with is sarcastic and at the same time knows how to work and work hard. We're having some pretty good success right now and hopefully if all works out, we could have a whole family baptized. Tthe guy is just way solid and reading in the Book of Mormon a ton. We didn't even commit him to read it and he had already read up to the end of second Nephi,  just way solid!  His name is Jillia and if all goes well we could have the whole family baptized but his wife is in Hawaii right now going to BYU but is also not a member, so if she got baptized there and he got baptized here that would just be awesome! I think that's about all for now, I'm loving the work right now, I'm way happy and excited to see how the work will change when the new mission president comes! Thanks for all the love and support, and I pray for you aelop iien! 
Lots of love
from Elder Michelson!

Mom's note. It was so good to get this email. Usually they come on Sunday sometime in the evening. We didn't get one on Sunday and I was worried he hadn't gotten ours because we sent them while we were driving. I guess it was just because of Mission Conference. Whew everything is good! I love hearing how he is realizing what the important things in life are!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment