Sunday, September 7, 2014

It's not about obeying because we have to, its because we want to and we trust in the Lord

July 27, 2014

This week was pretty good, working with Elder P is awesome, because it gives me feedback and shows me ways in which I can improve. I like working with an older missionary, things just generally go smoother. I'm definitely learning a lot, and it's been helping me, although not going to lie, I miss my investigators in Jenrok. I don't really know this people and haven't established that relationship with them yet, and I wish I could go back and teach those people again. But it's okay, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be right now, and I'll find more prepared people to teach. Just have to be patient, and work hard, and then we'll be able to help those people in the same way. I also got my license this week, which was weird I can officially drive again, and it's honestly like riding a bike, you just don't forget. And I haven't even crashed yet and I don't plan on it! In terms of investigators and all that, I don't really know any of them well enough to say who is progressing and who's not but we did have 4 people come to church which is always nice to see. Plus I've been seeing a ton of people from Wotje here, they pretty much came for the summer, and that's nice to have just random people come up to me and remember who I was and that I did some good out on Wotje. Hopefully I planted a couple seeds and the Elders out on Wotje will be able to continue to work with them. Also have been studying with mama and papa about the temple because they live in my area, which is awesome because it makes me feel at home again I love that family so much. But we're trying to get them to the temple this December if at all possible, the only problem is the fact that they live on the outer island. So we'll see what we can do, but they are definitely ready in my mind. I would love to see them at the temple, that would just be awesome! Which leads me to another question.. Would it be possible to send a game system with some games? Like the ps2 or whatever that we don't use, just put that in a box with the controller's and all that stuff, or whatever game system we could get for relatively cheap, because here it literally costs an arm and a leg and papa kooteti was asking me for one, so if you could do that, that would be awesome! And also if you could send some more of that huckleberry jam, I would love that, made some huckleberry milkshakes out of that with maple syrup and brown sugar, and that was probably one of the best things that I've tasted on the island what else do I have to say... Umm oh yeah, I shaved all my leg hair off and stuff like that, I'm basically a hairless cat now :p so Elder Parkinson and I made a little deal, that I would shave off all my body hair if I could teach him how to play volleyball. Since I figured we'll probably be working together until he goes home, I figured everyday of him playing volleyball was worth me shaving all my hair off,  that did create quite the pile of hair though, I must say. But yeah it looks weird, I don't even feel the same, but on the plus side I am less hot, and I might maintain it a little bit I don't know though. So that's probably the funny story from the week! What else did I learn.. Oh been studying quite a bit about sacrifice, just trying to finish the Book of Mormon and loved the story of the Anti-Nephi-lehies, those people truly understood the gospel of Jesus Christ, and I wish I had that same amount of conviction. Despite all trials and sufferings they encountered, they never ever fell back after the time they were truly converted, and that's what I am trying to do right now, is help people become converted so they will never fall away. It's tough to look back and see that some of those people I baptized have already fallen away, and I don't blame myself for it, it just shows a lack of true conversion. I've been focusing on that lately as well, is helping people become converted, not just relaying information, because sometimes we as missionaries tend to get into that rut, of just relaying the same information over and over, which is really not what we are called to do, we are called to help people change, and in order to do that, we first must make that change. To live that higher law that we have been called to live, so people can literally feel the difference when we enter their home, I know maybe that won't happen every time, but that's what I'm working towards. It's not about obeying because we have to, it's because we want to and we trust the Lord enough to be submissive. So I guess that was something that I learned from my studies this week, and just randomly putting this out there, but it is crazy how fast time is going, not too long ago I just realized that I had been out for 18 months. Pretty soon I'll be home trying to adjust to living in a freezer and trying to figure out how to relate to normal white people but I'm excited for sure. I think that's all for the week though, thanks for everything and hope that you had yourselves a fantastical week!
Lots of lovin'
From Elder Jordan Michelson

No comments:

Post a Comment